“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Friday, February 11, 2011

Birthday Brood




Standing before my bookshelves

I gaze at the books fondly.

I remember you, I tell one,

Do you, the nights we spent together?

You made me laugh, cry, you made me angry

And yet you gave me peace too, and great joy!

Yes, yes, I nod at another, you too, of course.

They all look back at me, smiling gently,

These souls who have been with me for so long.


I look at them and at those I haven’t read

Perhaps – no, quite likely - never will.


The night is quiet; silence broken only by the old ceiling fan.


Browsing through my CDs, I look at the pictures

The places I have been to, the faces I have seen.

I smile at the old files, remnants of countless attempts

At setting the world right; how wanton I have been with words!

How I had dreamt! How valorous I have been and oh, how naïve!

Here in these pages lie my words, my dreams, myself

Glittering , scattering like confetti in an evening sun.


There are so many places I haven’t seen

So many books I haven’t read

So many songs I haven’t heard

So many things I haven’t done–

Oh! There is so much, so much of love I haven’t had!

**************** Balachandran V, Trivandrum, 11.02.2011

painting courtesy : http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24456032


15 comments:

  1. Lovely! I totally relate to that feeling about books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem @Balachandran V

    I must admit I am unable to relate the title and the painting to the poem. Am I missing something?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Agnija: :)

    @NRIGirl: Birthday brooding - It was my birthday.
    Painting - I liked the painting - I hold such scenes close to my heart; and I miss nature, in this concrete jungle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy belated bday.. B. yup. miles to go bfore we sleep....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to all this too. Very well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birthday on the hill top of life. And consider staying there for a while before you start the descend.
    I guess well correlated verses,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bala,

    A warm birthday wish. Belated yeah!

    And I loved the poem. you have a knack to express those subtle thoughts in such beautiful verses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, life in the midst of books. Belated b’day wishes, sir.
    May you see a 1,000 full moons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy bday...

    I feel the same whenever I look at my books...sometimes grows so desperate that I want to read all my books together...

    A book unread is like a dessert that was left untasted...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kalpana, Bindu, Arun, Elizabeth, Jyothi - Thanks for the b'day wishes; long may I live, but only so long I am sound in body and mind! :)

    Have declared 2011 as year of travel; already did a couple. This weekend too i will be away in Attappadi. The new photo shows the stream that runs by our ECOFARM land. Spent last weekend there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arun,
    books not read- why not see it as Oasis left not walked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated birthday wishes! :)


    Lovely post!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Balachandran,
    Belated Happy Birthday!
    -Cheriyan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know i am very very late, but I can't stop wishing you a happy birthday.
    Happy b'day Balachandran sir.

    Just like you, I too love books and CDs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Decide wholesale wedding dresses the amount of input you desire from your attendants about their costume from the start. Your weddings will possibly not love being excluded from the procedure, although there’s no use in seeking their thoughts if you have already made up your mind. 2011 wedding dresses Actually, you can buying wedding dresses not only in the store, but also you can buy it in the Onlineshop. And, you can find some unique designe wedding dresses. Such as Organza sweetheart neckline lace straps mermaid wedding dresses or Organza Strapless Straight Neckline with Rouched princess wedding dresses is hot sale in the Onlineshop. wholesale bridal gowns That is best for a number of brides with clear cut thoughts being the person in control of the wedding dress choice. Always keep in mind your weddings’budget. popular among the masses. Here are some of the things which you can consider when you are to search for your favorite naruto cosplay. You must keep in mind your budget. wedding gowns Yes, shopping online is cheaper most of the times but do count the shipping charges that you have to pay when you are shopping online. There is a choice will be available to choose from pre made costumes and custom made costumes. prom dresses If you want to buy the pre made costumes confirm that product that you are choosing is made of high class material. prom dress The joyful Christmas season is eagerly awaited the world over. In countries like the US, the occasion is observed in a fervid manner. It is a season that signifies unity and brotherhood. It is a time for prayers, ball gowns joyous celebrations and beautiful Christmas decorations. Every home wears a festive look in the days leading to the celebrations. ball dresses Every family devotes time and energy to make the home front look as beautiful as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!