“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Friday, November 13, 2009

Play Ball


I am playing ball, you see.
Throw it down, it bounces up
Throw it up, it comes down
Throw it on to the wall
Hey! it comes right back to me.

Tired or bored playing ball
I fling it on the floor
Despondent, it rolls to a corner.

I slump down on a chair
Sit watching the ball.
It looks back at me, sullen.
Glowing red, it takes the shape
Of my heart
Shouts why I wouldn't play ball
With life.
**********
Balachandran V, Trivandrum 13.11.09

2 comments:

  1. a very unusual climax. but B,is it the pains alone u count at the end..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To play ball with life i.e., to get along with life, might be easy for many. When you have lived two score and twelve years, and when regrets overshadow happiness, what can one do? Pain lasts more. Of course, you remember happy occasions too. But the exercise of remembering pain has one use - valuable lessons, for me, for you, the reader.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!