“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Asylum





Under the dimmed lights, shadowed faces.

Bow-tied waiters pad by silently.

From the blistering sun

Into dark, cold caves

Offering anonymity, security

Of a faceless existence.


The impassive courtesy

A flicker of familiarity

Assurance of a sanctuary -

How I love this place!

In the glass, the liquor

The clink of cubes

Frozen like my soul.

Fizz fizzling out

Like my dreams!


By oneself, in twosome or in groups

Men sit, talking, thinking, brooding

Staring into space like

Refugees in a transit camp.

On the wall, behind the glass

Fish swim listlessly.


How comforting, this asylum

Where I shall sink into

A transient oblivion!

************** Balachandran V, Trivandrum, 13.05.2010





9 comments:

  1. "Cheers!" I hope I'm not being irreverent. Is there in it a subtle tone of sadness? I felt so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you are right. Your 'cheers!!" brought some cheer to me, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent write with clever use of metaphors. Our mind will allow us to be in any place at any time. Nothing stronger than the mind....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sumi: Long time no see you in my blog! Frozen for now, hope will melt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have brought out the ambience of the place beautifully, Balan. (not keerthi, though. there is no fish tank there.) you have also brought out the change in mood as one steps into the cool comfort of the asylum from the 'blistering sun.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Venu: Fish tank is from another bar in Kottayam. The rest of course is Keerthi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. finding refuge is natural..and a drinking hole is always inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dey Bals, I missed the "Keerthi" last sturday.All the more after these verse

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!